Art with Portfolio Preparation (Level 5)
This course gives students the skills necessary to develop a creative approach to Art. Advice will be given on portfolio selection and layout suitable for application to Third Level colleges.
Duration: One year, full time.
- Combined Materials 5N0764
- Painting 5N1302
- Printmaking 5N1373
- Drawing 5N1862
- Appreciation of Art, Craft and Design 5N0755
- Sculpture 5N1918
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Communications 5N0690
NFQ Level 5 award made by QQI M1985 Art
This course prepares students for work in the area of Art and Design or students may wish to progress to Art at Third Level.
Third Level Progression
- National College of Art & Design NCAD, accept this QQI Level 5 award for 8 of their courses including Fine Art AD204, Fashion Design AD211 and Education & Design or Fine Art for Second Level Teaching AD202.
- TU Dublin- City Centre Campus have over 10 art related courses that allow progression from this award including Fine Art TU974, Photography TU976 and Interior Design TU975.
- Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art & Design have a wide range of courses that might interest students including Art DL827, Graphic Design DL826 & Photography and Visual Media DL833.
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied Programme, QQI Level 4 full major award or equivalent.
- Work/life experience may be acceptable for mature students.
- Students should be 16 years old or over at the start of the course.
- Aptitude: Applicants must have a motivation to learn, an interest in the subject area and the ability to acquire the knowledge, skills and competencies set out in the course.
- Competent written and spoken English (CEFR B1 or higher).
For details on our fees, please click here.
I would highly recommend anyone, young or mature, to consider studying Art with Portfolio Preparation at Greenhills. The course is structured in such a way that one is constantly building one’s skills and expanding one’s knowledge. The Course Tutor offers excellent support, direction and instruction, making it a very inclusive and relaxed learning environment. The Course tutor is always on hand to offer guidance and encouragement. I was offered places in NCAD, TU Dublin and IADT because of the work I did on developing my portfolio. I would not have received these offers had I not completed the course.
Yvonne Hickey (class of 2020)
A graduate of the Greenhills arts course, I progressed and completed four years studying visual communication in DIT. Greenhills gave me the opportunity and encouragement to experiment in all aspects of art and design. The Art Portfolio course had very hands on teacher-student interaction which helped me broaden my artistic ambitions.
Carla Byrne (Class of 2017)