Healthcare Assistant (Level 5)
This course gives students the skills necessary to work as Healthcare Assistants in a variety of healthcare settings or progression to further study through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
One year, full time
- Care Skills 5N2770
- Care of the Older Person 5N2706
- Care Support 5N0758
- Communications 5N0690
- Nutrition 5N2006
- Palliative Care Support 5N3769
- Safety and Health at Work 5N1794
- Work Experience 5N1356
NFQ Level 5 award made by QQI 5M4339 Healthcare Support
Students may find employment as Healthcare Assistants in a variety of settings (hospitals, nursing homes, residential homes, day-care centers or in client’s own homes).
Third Level Progression
- Health and Society DC209 in DCU.
- Applied Social Care TU997 in TU Dublin-Tallaght
- Early Childhood Care and Education TU790 and TU989 in TU Dublin-Tallaght
- Applied Social Studies in Social Care TU791 and Community and Youth Development TU792 in TU Dublin- Blanchardstown
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied Programme, QQI Level 4 full major award or equivalent.
- Work/life experience may be acceptable for mature students.
- Students should be 16 years old or over at the start of the course.
- Aptitude: Applicants must have a motivation to learn, an interest in the subject area and the ability to acquire the knowledge, skills and competencies set out in the course.
- Garda vetting clearance is required for all students taking this course.
- Competent written and spoken English (CEFR B1 or higher).
For details on our fees, please click here.
I decided I wanted a more rewarding vocation, and the extra learning support help was such a big help. The students in my class were lovely and we all helped each other out. I would recommend this course as all the teachers were very supportive and understanding. After completing the course I would like to work in a care setting. Then when I have gained some experience, I would hopefully like to go on to do the nursing course in a few years time.
Amy Rufli (Class of 2021).
I decided to do a course at Greenhills College because I wanted a change in career. The teachers were so helpful. It was a difficult year for everyone because of the pandemic, the help and the way the teachers delivered the course was amazing. They did an immense job considering it was not on campus. The time the teachers gave us to complete assignments as well as the patience they had with us, I don’t know how they did it! I am working now as a homecare worker, a job I thought I would never do. I love it. I’m going back to Greenhills in September to do Social Care and can’t wait. My aim is to get to work in a hospital or to work with children in the future. Who knows, anything is possible.
Padraig Mc Cabe (Class of 2021). Employed as a homecare worker.